Tomatoes “Golden Domes”: description, cultivation agricultural technique
Golden domes, or Sibiriada, is a tomato variety that is created for cultivation in harsh climates. Despite the living conditions, this tomato variety is famous for its good yield. If you plan to grow these tomatoes, read the article about the features of the variety and the care of it.
Did you know? Tomatoes have long been considered poisonous plants. In the history of mankind, evidence remains of how a chef-cook tried to poison George Washington with this vegetable.
Gold domes are characterized as follows:
- determinant mid-season variety;
- suitable for growing both in open ground and in a greenhouse;
- It is famous for its resistance to diseases and pests;
- the height of the bushes ranges from 0.9–1.5 m;
- leaves are small, dark green in color;
- the bushes of the bushes are complex, with an ovary of 5–15 fruits;
- fruits appear 112–116 days after planting seeds;
- the yield of 1 m² depends on the quality of care and can reach 13 kg;
- the number of spoiled tomatoes rarely exceeds 20–25%;
- thanks to the original shape of the fruit, these tomatoes got their name;
- ripened Golden domes have a bright orange color and sweet fleshy flesh;
- the weight of one fetus varies between 0.2–0.4 kg, with careful care, indicators of 700–800 g can be achieved;
- thanks to the taste, Golden domes are used in the preparation of salads and juices.
Advantages and disadvantages
The Golden Domes grade has advantages and disadvantages.
- The pluses include:
- high productivity;
- large fruits;
- great taste of tomatoes;
- persistent immunity;
- the same yield both in the greenhouse and on the open ground;
- lack of seeds in the pulp.
- thin (as for such large fruits) peel;
- if you abuse the watering of bushes, tomatoes crack;
- due to the size of the "tomato dome" it is impossible to preserve the whole.
Important! The variety is recommended for people suffering from high acidity of the stomach, since there is no acid in these tomatoes.
How to grow tomato seedlings on your own?
A good crop depends on properly prepared seedlings. It is at the shoot stage that the immunity of the future plant is formed, and its growth potential is laid. Therefore, carefully consider the recommendations for the selection, preparation of seeds and care for them during the growth process.
Plants, their viability and yield depend on seasonality and weather conditions, so it is important to know the timing for planting.
The exact dates for planting seeds depend on regional climatic conditions, but experts recommend focusing on the following parameters:
- end of February or the first days of March;
- 2 months before transplanting future shoots into the open ground.
Did you know? «Poisonousness» Tomatoes in 1822 proved Robert Johnson. He did this in the city of Salem in front of 2 thousand spectators, eating a bucket of tomatoes.
Soil is the main source of vitamins and useful minerals for plants, so it is worth choosing it responsibly and starting this process in the fall.For tomatoes, Golden Domes as a soil, a mixture of garden soil, humus and sand in a ratio of 2: 1: 1 is suitable. Mix all the components evenly, and then lay the soil in boxes and send for a few months, until spring, in a cold place. A long stay in the cold will qualitatively disinfect the soil from small pests.
A day before planting, move the soil to a warm room so that the soil has time to warm up for the seeds.
Important! Do not take as a basis for tomatoes the land in which potatoes, peppers, and eggplants were previously grown, otherwise there is a risk of transferring diseases characteristic of the solanaceous family.
Capacity for growing
Today the choice of containers for seedlings is rich. Make decisions based on your budget and personal preferences.
Many prefer universal wooden or plastic boxes, it is inexpensive and practical. However, be prepared that at some point you will have to dive seedlings. If you do not want to spend time planting young sprouts, then immediately use individual containers:
- peat tablets;
- cassettes for seedlings;
- plastic glasses.
Be sure to prepare the tomato seeds before planting:
- Prepare a pink solution of manganese and leave the seed in it for 25 minutes.
- After the specified time, rinse it thoroughly under running water.
- After it is worth nourishing them with growth stimulants. For this, you can use both purchased drugs (Ivin, Epin) and natural remedies: aloe juice, honey solution (1 tbsp. Per 200 ml of heated water). Leave the seeds in the stimulator overnight.
- The next day, throw them on a sieve to glass the liquid, and then lay it out in a thin layer on paper for drying.
Now the seeds are ready for planting.
Did you know? 1 cup of tomato juice contains the daily intake of vitamins C and A.
For better germination and development of future plants, planting is carried out on a day favorable on the lunar calendar.
Landing is quick and easy:
- The soil prepared in boxes is leveled.
- Mark rows 1 cm deep with a distance between them of 5 cm.
- Water is poured into the resulting furrows to moisten the soil well.
- Spread the seeds with an interval of 1-1.5 cm.
- The crops are densely covered with earth and the upper soil is slightly moistened with water.
In the early stages of growth, seeds need special conditions.
To do this, the boxes with crops are covered with sheets of glass or a thin plastic film that does not allow the earth to dry out, and the containers themselves are placed in a warm place (it can be near a battery or other heat source).
Important! For 6–8 days after sowing, the first seedlings will appear.
The optimum temperature for the growth of hatching seedlings will be +23 ... + 25 ° С. In addition to heat and light, tomatoes love moisture. Water them regularly as the soil dries, but do not get too carried away with this process, because overflow can provoke the development of pathogens.After each watering, do not forget to loosen the ground (an ordinary table fork is suitable for this) so that the roots of the plants receive oxygen. Loosen the soil carefully, without sudden movements and shallow, otherwise the root system of the shoots will suffer.
2-3 weeks after the appearance of the sprouts, you can fertilize with complex fertilizers. You can do without a procedure if you have qualitatively fertilized the soil in the fall at the stage of its preparation.
To plant tomatoes in boxes or large trays, you need to pick them at the stage of formation of 2 leaves. Transplanting future tomatoes is not necessary in individual containers, you can use boxes, only increase the distance between the rows to 10 cm, and between plants - to 4-5 cm.
Shortly before planting tomatoes in open ground, you should take care of their cold resistance, otherwise a sharp shift from greenhouse conditions to a changeable climate in fresh air can adversely affect them.
Did you know? Tomato has long been considered an aphrodisiac, but this theory has been scientifically refuted.
After 1-2 weeks, the rooms are aired on sunny, warm days, avoiding drafts. Open access to fresh air for a short time, for 1-2 hours, gradually increasing this time to 5-6 hours. Just make sure that the soil does not get cold in the tomatoes, otherwise the root systems of the shoots will die. Final preplant hardening is carried out 1-2 weeks before disembarkation. In the room, the temperature is reduced to +12 ... + 15 ° C at night. And already in 4-5 days, the indicators are aligned with the conditions of the open ground, where seedlings will be transplanted. The last 2-3 days, the shoots are always in the fresh air.
Planting seedlings in a permanent place
The calendar dates for planting seedlings in open ground depend on the date of planting of the seed. Usually this time comes 40–45 days after the first shoots appear.
It is better to plant Golden domes on the beds where vegetable marrows, carrots, greens or cucumbers grew before. Given that this is a large-fruited variety, its bushes need space for development.
Important! The optimal landing scheme is considered to be a 50-centimeter distance between two copies and a 40-centimeter between their rows. After two rows, it is worth making a meter gap.
How to care in the open ground?
After moving the tomatoes to a permanent habitat, they are provided with care.
Golden domes like high-quality watering, it is important to moisten the soil around them during flowering and fruit setting. Otherwise, tomato pollen becomes sterile, and if the fruits are tied up, they will not be able to gain weight.
Therefore, the bushes are watered 2 times a week in the late afternoon, when there is no sun. At least 2-3 liters of water are used for each bush, depending on weather conditions (less cloudy water is required in cloudy weather, watering is increased in hot weather).
Did you know? Yellow tomatoes are tastier and red tomatoes are healthier: they contain more vitamins and minerals.
- pouring water under the root so that it does not fall on the leaves;
- using drip irrigation;
- equipping along a series of channels-recesses closer to the basal zone of the bushes;
- placing between the two bushes a plastic bottle without a bottom, where liquid is poured, which is gradually distributed between the roots.
Periodically during irrigation, fertilizing growing tomatoes is carried out. This is done once every 2 weeks, if there are no signs of a lack of one or another element.
As fertilizers for tomatoes, Golden Domes use mineral complexes in the form of solutions, which are purchased in specialized stores, or natural substances:
- top layer of swamp peat.
Important! After fertilizing, it is advisable to loosen the soil in order to improve the access of nutrients to the roots of tomatoes.
The bush of the Golden Dome variety grows in height by 90-150 cm, so you can not do without pinching and its formation. Experts recommend growing this species in 2-3 stems.The need to remove additional shoots that arise in the sinuses between the main stem and leaf occurs regularly (tomatoes can produce up to 40-50 stepsons per season). These branches pull their bush strength and nutrients, which are better directed to the formation and ripening of more fruits.Therefore, experienced gardeners cut off unnecessary sprouts immediately after their appearance to provide a larger crop.
It is necessary to loosen the soil after each watering. Then moisture is better stored in the soil, and oxygen is more actively delivered to the roots. Therefore, the first cultivation is carried out immediately after transplanting seedlings, and the next - after 1.5–2 weeks.
If necessary, weeding is carried out between the rows to prevent the emergence of weeds.
Did you know? Today, more than 10,000 varieties of tomatoes are bred in the world.
The weight of the fruit of the Golden Domes reaches 300-400 g, and therefore without tying the stems of the bush break.
As a support, use:
- trellis (portable, stationary);
Tomatoes Golden domes have strong immunity against diseases and pests characteristic of this type of vegetables.
Important! If prevention did not help, and the tomatoes were infected by pests, they use insecticides (Confidor, Aktara). When the first signs of disease appear, the bushes are treated with fungicides (Oksikhom, Consento).
- compliance with the standards for the distance between the bushes;
- timely weeding of rows from weeds;
- plant binding;
- hilling of the stem;
- pinching the apex closer to early August.
Golden Domes ripen tomatoes 110–115 days after the first sprouts appear. You can pick tomatoes earlier, they are able to ripen already in storage. However, if you take the fruits already ripe, they should be consumed or processed in the near future, since they are not subject to long-term storage.
Large fruits, resistance to low temperatures, a rich harvest, stable immunity - the Golden Domes variety has the necessary characteristics to please tomato lovers. This species loves proper care, timely watering, requires the formation of a bush, however, for your efforts you will be rewarded with beautiful and tasty fruits.