Why does the rabbit throw rabbits right after the bunny?
Very often, the owners of rabbits are faced with this situation: the female immediately after the rounding throws and tramples the cubs after their birth. After reading the article, you will learn about the causes of this phenomenon, and how to deal with it.
Why the rabbit scatters and tramples the rabbits
Before giving birth, the rabbit arranges a nest for unborn children, in which he places them immediately after the birthing and begins to lick. But it also happens that the "mother" begins to throw or trample the rabbits. How to understand why she behaves this way? There are several reasons for this phenomenon. Below in more detail:
- Newborns were found to be very weak or born dead. For healthy offspring, the female cares appropriately.
- Mastitis. With this disease, feeding rabbits becomes painful.
- A lack of milk also leads to sensitivity of the nipples of the female.
- Hunting rabbits. This process begins already on the 2nd day after the birth. At the same time, the maternal instinct is very weak.
- Wrong host behavior. If you expose the animal to stress or scare it with loud noises, it will be nervous and will not accept offspring.
- The rabbit didn’t make a fuzz for the nest, and therefore there is simply nowhere to place the offspring.
- The female is too young to properly care for rabbits.
Important! Scattering baby rabbits is very dangerous for their life. If this is not noticed in time, the offspring may not survive.
What to do if a rabbit throws rabbits
If a female rabbit completely abandoned her children, measures must be taken to save them life. You can get out of this situation using one of the three methods described below.
Awaken maternal instinct
Most often, the maternal instinct is suppressed by the desire for sexual desire.
- When the sex drive is so strong, one-time sexual contact with the male must be allowed.
- If after some time the problem has returned, repeat the procedure.
- It is necessary to monitor the proper diet of the newly made mother.
Plant to another rabbit
This method is suitable if you have enough females on the farm with a recent bastard to replace them. Your actions are as follows:
- Choose a family in which the mother has enough milk, and the age of her relatives is the same as the rabbits.
- Carefully move the offspring into a new cage.
- Wait about half an hour.
- Run the rabbit there. Observe if she has accepted her offspring.
Important! You can take newborns by washing your hands thoroughly.
If the reason is not sexual hunting, but there is no one to replace the rabbit, you will have to feed the offspring yourself. It is necessary to make a mixture of natural cow's milk with condensed in a ratio of 1: 1 or use goat. First, the cubs are fed with a finger, then you can use a pipette. After twenty days, they are able to independently drink from a saucer.
Adhering to the following additional recommendations, you can prevent the problem, as well as competently help the female rabbit in the process of raising cubs. For this it is important:
- carry out an okrol in the cold season (this reduces the risk of hunting after childbirth);
- during the construction of the nest, the rabbit helps her with materials (throw down feathers into the cage);
- systematically inspect the nest and offspring, do not touch the cubs unless absolutely necessary.
Did you know? The record recorded number of cubs in the litter is 24 individuals.