How to make a nipple drinker for rabbits in your own hands?
In the breeding of any animals, the presence of feed and a sufficient amount of water are necessary conditions. Based on this, a quality drinker should be in all cells. The article will focus on the nipple form for rabbits, and will also set out step-by-step instructions for self-manufacturing and installing this device.
Nipple drinker for rabbits
A nipple drinker is a system for delivering fluid to an animal, which looks like a reservoir with a ball that prevents water from flowing out until it moves away with the pressure of the tongue or lips.
Did you know? Rabbits are social animals, even in the wild they live in groups. This distinguishes them from hares who prefer solitude.
The principle of operation is simple, the rabbit fits, takes the nipple in his mouth and makes sucking movements, receiving a certain dose of water.
- In comparison with other designs, the nipple has some advantages:
- Convenience, to provide moisture for a long period of time, it is enough to pour water into the tank.
- The fluid is always clean., since the design does not allow the animal to get inside and also to get there the rest of the feed.
- Economical consumption. The structure of the device does not allow liquid to spill out or evaporate.
- Primitivism at work.
- Simple design and principle of operation, allows you to build and install it yourself.
- Vitamins or any medicine can be easily added to the drinker..
- Flooring is always dry - This is a guarantee of the absence of bacteria and infections.
- However, despite the huge number of positive aspects, drip devices, like others, have some negative aspects:
- High price. However, everyone can do the design.
- Without fail reliable hardware must be present.
- Complications in the design create obstacles for normal water supply.
Important! One of the minuses is the need to accustom the animal to the drinker. If a rabbit used to drink from a bowl, at first it is very difficult for him to understand the principle of a new device.
Requirements for nipple drinkers for rabbits
For full feeding of rabbits, a nipple drinker must meet the requirements of:
- Water should be poured into the vessel conveniently.
- The tank must hold at least 1 liter of water.
- Dust or any dirt should not get inside.
- Mounting must be reliable.
- The source should be easy to use.
How to make a nipple drinker for rabbits with your own hands?
Consider the step-by-step manufacturing instructions for rabbit nipple drinkers at home.
Materials and tools for work
To collect the nipple device, you need the following inventory:
- food container with a lid with a capacity of 2 l;
- plastic fitting for a hose with a diameter of 8-10 mm;
- a piece of hose with a diameter of 8 mm;
- nipple drinker with a spring for fastening;
- drill with a diameter of 4.5 mm and 10 mm;
Did you know? A rabbit weighing about 2 kg drinks the same amount of water per day as a dog weighing 10 kg.
Step-by-step manufacturing instructions
Having in stock all of the above materials, you can begin to manufacture a nipple drinker.
DIY nipple drinker for domestic rabbit: video
A step-by-step instruction is as follows:
- Push the fixture with the nipple over one end of the hose.
- Put the other end on the fitting. To make the hose more pliable for pulling, it is lowered for some time in hot water.
- A drill with a diameter of 4 mm to drill a hole in one of the sides of the tank, its height 1 cm from the bottom. This should be done without pressure. Then take a drill with a diameter of 10 mm.Strip file.
- Insert the fitting into the hole. Apply silicone sealant from the inside so that the water never comes out. Put a nut inside.
Installation of a drinking bowl for rabbits
To obtain the required amount of liquid, it is important to know how to properly install the drinker in the animal's dwelling. Since the rabbit is quite playful, he can easily turn the tank over or break it. This is important to consider when securing the device.
Important! To be sure of choosing the right height, observe the animal for the first time. During drinking, the rabbit should not bend its head and easily reach the tube.
It is better to place the tank outside the cage, and the tube with the nipple is already directly inside. It should be at a height of 10 cm or more, this will protect it from pollution. The container is mounted on the wall or placed on the roof of the cage, it all depends on the length of the hose. And the edge with the nipple is led through the rods and fastened.
How to teach a rabbit to drink from a nipple drinker?
It’s easy enough to teach a rabbit to drink water from a nipple tank. The first thing to do is remove the existing water tank from the cage.
To do this, carry out the following steps:
- Attract the animal's attention by tapping the nipple and show the movement of water.
- The hand on which the drops of water are present show the rabbit.
- The procedure is repeated several times.
Rabbits are pretty smart animals, they quickly enough understand the principle of getting water. Based on this, it is quite simple to accustom them to such a drink.
Features of nipple drinking in rabbits in winter
Eating eared ears in winter needs special attention. Even with minimal knowledge of physics, it is clear that at a negative air temperature freezing of the liquid will occur. In this case, a heated drinking bowl will come to the rescue.If in your region the temperature does not drop below −10 ° C, then it is quite enough to insulate the tank with foam, straw or ordinary hay. But so that the animal does not catch a cold from cool water, it is still recommended to choose a heated drinking bowl.
The following varieties are known today:
- heated by lamps;
- with built-in thermostat;
- warm coasters.
Based on the foregoing, it is clear that daily access to water is important for all living things. Today this problem is solved quite simply, just select and install the tank. This article gives complete instructions for making a nipple drinker, which will allow you to make it yourself.