How much a cow carries a calf
The inexperienced farmer's period of cow pregnancy raises a number of questions. In this article, we will consider all the subtleties of caring for an animal during pregnancy, the timing of gestation and the process of childbirth.
How long does a cow last?
During pregnancy, a number of changes occur in the body of the heifers, which should be taken into account to ensure proper care.
The average cow wears a calf 285 days, but there are deviations. A slight reduction or increase in the period of gestation does not apply to pathology, for example:
- early calving (not earlier than the 240th day) may occur due to a large fetus, a deficiency of vitamins and minerals in the diet, psychological factors. With proper care, this happens in six out of a hundred cases;
- late calving (no later than the 311st day) can provoke a slow formation of the fetus due to the characteristics of the body of the cow, hormonal imbalance of the body. Similar occurs in ten cases out of a hundred.
- a sharp failure of the hormonal background;
- poor living conditions and unbalanced nutrition;
- the use of aggressive drugs at the beginning of the term;
- errors in the inspection of a pregnant female;
- reproductive system diseases;
- exorbitant loads (grazing on distant pastures).
Did you know? The nose print of a burenok is as unique as the fingerprint of a person. This factor is used by American farmers in the search for stolen wards.
How to determine pregnancy
Since each owner controls the case of their wards, it is not difficult to find out about the onset of pregnancy. It is necessary to carefully observe the animal, its appearance and behavior. You can find out about an existing pregnancy by the following signs:
- the animal tries to move with caution, it becomes more calm and docile;
- appetite is growing;
- the coat becomes smooth, shine appears;
- vaginal discharge appears.
A rectal examination will require the help of a second person. Since the procedure is not pleasant, the cow may respond inappropriately, it must be kept. During the examination, the female can stand or lie on her side, if the animal is restless, it is tied to the horns for reliability and the pelvic area is fixed.Before starting the examination, the doctor disinfects the hands, puts on gloves and lubricates them with petroleum jelly to cause the female less unpleasant sensations. With cautious movements, the uterus is palpated through the rectum. A study is conducted two to three months after mating.
Important! They try to carry out a similar procedure in the morning, after the cow empties the intestines.
Pregnancy can be determined in months and days using an ultrasound device, in addition, the study allows you to identify pathologies of fetal development in the early stages. However, you need to know that it is carried out no earlier than a month after mating, otherwise you can provoke a miscarriage.In modern veterinary medicine, portable devices are most often used, which do not require the transportation of the female to a special room, are small in size and convenient to use.
How to determine the date of birth
Knowing the date of mating of their ward, you can determine the date of the alleged birth with a simple formula. Values for the formula:
- “H” - date of mating;
- “D” - calving period;
- "M" - the calendar month of insemination;
- fixed numbers 11 and 3.
The calculation is carried out as follows: D = (H + 11). (M-3)
Consider an example: insemination was carried out on April 16, April on the calendar - the fourth month. Therefore, the formula looks like this: D = (16 + 11). (4-3) = 27.01 - January twenty-seventh.If insemination occurred in January or February, then “12” is added to the month number. This formula gives only approximate value, calving time depends on the age of the female, the number of previous pregnancies and body characteristics.
How much can move
To calculate the gestation period, experts advise to have a pregnancy calendar, which will indicate the date of insemination, as well as ongoing studies and other procedures.
Important! If a female carries a baby for more than three weeks, this is fraught with a sinking pregnancy.
Transfer of a cow to dead wood
Dead wood - this is the period before calving, during which the cows gather strength before childbirth and lactation. The period takes a certain time, so it is important to know how long the cow carries the baby. Females with their first pregnancy need a rest of at least seventy days, in general, the launch starts no later than forty-five days before calving.
Did you know? The symbol of the island of Madagascar is a hunchbacked zebu cow, which, according to the legend of the islanders, embodies the deity responsible for fertility and procreation.
Power on startup
The diet is changed gradually over a week, at the same time, water consumption is reduced. Concentrated and succulent, green foods are excluded from consumption. Before calving, the cow does not go for free grazing. When stalling, it is allowed to add flaxseed cake, wheat bran, oatmeal. The main diet consists mainly of roughage and hay.In order to prevent obesity or underweight, make up a nutrition schedule with strictly dosed useful elements. For every hundred kilograms of weight should be:
- squirrel - 210 g;
- fiber - 350 g;
- carotene - 540 mg.
Reduce the number of milking
A sharp reduction in milking threatens the cow with mastitis of the udder, so the launch is carried out gradually:
- the first days are milked twice a day;
- the following days - once a day;
- every three to five days they do not milk, examining the udder for the development of pathologies.
A newborn baby needs special conditions. Before calving, the owner of the burenka is obliged to prepare the premises:
- eliminate drafts, dampness and make sure that there is sufficient access to fresh air;
- clean the stall, replace the litter with a clean and soft;
- sanitize floors and drains.
Signs of approaching
You can notice the approach of the birth process by the behavior of the cows. The signs are as follows:
- kicking in place;
- desire to lie more;
- loss of appetite and thirst;
- anxious mooing;
- swelling of the udder and colostrum;
- secretion of mucus from the vagina;
- relaxation and lowering of the pelvis.
Video: Signs of fast calving of a cow
How to take
For calving, you need to prepare tools and auxiliary material:
- clean towels;
- warm water and soap;
- potassium permanganate solution;
In the course of labor, the burenka may need help, consider how to proceed:
- The first to leave the vagina is the fetal bladder.With weak fights, he does not break himself, he needs to be incised.
- In the normal course of labor, the calf moves forward with the limbs. Hind limbs are also considered normal. In case of improper presentation of the fetus or suspension of labor, the help of a veterinarian is needed.
- The baby is taken on a clean towel and the umbilical cord is cut. They treat it with iodine.
- Then the calf is placed closer to the mother so that she releases his respiratory organs from the mucus and licks it dry.
- If the mother is inexperienced and tired, you need to remove the mucus yourself and wipe the baby with a dry towel.
If you properly prepare for the pregnancy of your ward, keep a calendar, provide her with all the conditions for normal bearing, then viable offspring will appear on time and without complications. For the first time, the consultation and assistance of the veterinarian during the gestation period and during childbirth will not be superfluous.