What to do if a jar of cucumbers exploded?
Large stocks of conservation can please the whole family for many months. However, any housewife can be very upset if, for example, the cans with cucumbers, which spent a lot of time and energy, suddenly explode, thereby crossing out the results of the labors. In this article, we propose to consider the main causes of such a nuisance, answer the question of how to try to save substandard preservation, and give some additional tips to ensure that the process of procuring products in this way is successful.
Why do the cans of cucumbers explode?
First of all, it is worth noting that there can be several reasons. And not all of them allow the possibility of "restoration" of the product for subsequent re-preservation. To begin with, we suggest deciding on factors that could lead to a darkening of the brine or a can explosion.
This reason is the most common. It is due to the fact that in the process of twisting the lid could not fit snugly against the can. The formation of chips on the neck can also lead to this. Through the resulting cracks, air will enter the jar, which will start the fermentation process. And he, in turn, will lead to an explosion.
Did you know? Cucumbers of varieties such as cucumbers are best suited for harvesting. «Hermann», «fontanel», «funny boys» and «pickling». These varieties taste good and are well preserved.
Also, an “air pocket” may form if the brine in the tank is not filled enough. Therefore, it is better to top it up so that it even spills a little.Also, if you come across cucumbers with empty cavities inside, then air and microorganisms may remain in them. Bacteria in the process of life emit various gases that fill all the free space. When the pressure inside becomes too high, any can or other container does not withstand.
Violation of cooking technology
The second frequently occurring factor leading to spoilage of canned foods can be considered a violation of the general technology of cooking. So, some neglect the condition that it is necessary to thoroughly wash not only the cucumbers themselves, but also the leaves of plants added to the preservation, dill umbrellas, garlic.
Otherwise, along with contaminants, bacteria are introduced onto the ingredients, which lead to the explosion of the glass container.
Additionally, in order to prepare the cucumbers for canning, they must first be soaked. Such water procedures prevent air and bacteria from entering the tank.
Poor preparation of cans
Of great importance is the quality of cleaning the container itself, in which the vegetables will fit. Also, do not neglect the time of sterilization of containers. Typically, for 1l cans, a sterilization time of at least 5 minutes is set, but not more than 8, and for three-liter cans, a maximum of 15 minutes.Otherwise, gas formation may be observed inside the containers, which eventually leads to clouding of the brine and subsequent rupture of the container.
Important! Lids are also sterilized, but unlike cans, this is done in boiling water.
Banks may explode due to improper formulation. For example, an insufficient amount of salt, which is a preservative, or non-observance of the proportion of sugar, citric acid and vinegar.
Therefore, it is necessary to strictly observe the proportions that are indicated in the recipe of your choice, and not to put everything “by eye” so that hours of labor in the future will not fall into the bin.
How to save exploded cucumbers?
Fortunately for the housewives, there is a way to save their labors.
If the container with cucumbers is cloudy, proceed as follows:
- Wash the cucumbers thoroughly in cold water, preferably under running water. Additionally, you can wash them in 2-3% concentrate of salt.
- Soak the vegetables in water for 20 minutes.
- Boil the brine again. Wash the container thoroughly and sterilize it well.
- The lid must also be sterilized before screwing in, while first removing the rubber seal, which also undergoes heat treatment.
- The herbs you used can be replaced with fresh herbs if they remain.
- After the cucumbers are soaked, put them in a jar and fill with brine, then leave for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, the liquid is drained and boiled again.
- Pour the hot brine into the jar and add vinegar essence, per 1 tsp. on a three-liter capacity.
- Now the container can be tightly closed with a sterilized lid, and then wrapped in a blanket, after putting it upside down.
Did you know? If you add at least a few tomatoes in a jar of cucumbers, this will protect your preservation from re-clouding.
- Wash the cucumbers and transfer them to a clean container that has previously undergone heat treatment.
- Pour boiling water and let stand for several minutes.
- Pour the liquid into the pan and add salt and sugar in a proportion of 0.5 of the specified amount in the recipe.
- Boil the resulting brine and pour them vegetables.
- Before closing the jar, it is necessary to add acetylsalicylic acid in the calculation of 2 tablets per container with a volume of 3 liters.
- Now you can close the sterilized lid and wrap in a blanket, after turning the jar over.
Such cucumbers will be able to stand for a long time, and in taste they will not lose to your other preparations.
Additional Tips for Successful Canning
Before conservation it is necessary to carry out thorough preparatory work. For example, it is good to wash the cucumbers so that not a drop of dirt remains on them. In the process of washing, carefully review all vegetables so that they are not damaged or spoiled.
Important! In order for cucumbers to retain their crunchy properties, a small amount of oak bark can be added to the workpiece. So, add 1 tbsp to a 3-liter jar. l
However, experienced hostesses still have a number of useful tips that will help protect conservation and save time.
- Before starting the process, carefully review all your banks, they should not have cracks or chips, as well as other damages. Additionally, you can check the jar for damage by tapping on it. If you hear a dull rattling sound, then this indicates that there is damage, even if they are not visually visible.
- You can pre-soak the cans in a soda solution. To do this, add 1 teaspoon to 1 liter of water. Pour the jars with the resulting liquid and leave for 30-40 minutes.
- If you use metal caps, then they must be held in boiling water for several minutes.
- When cooking, pour cucumbers with boiling water and let them cool to room temperature, then drain this water.
- Having completed all these actions, you can safely fill the cucumbers with brine and close hermetically.
- If prescription jars need sterilization, then it is best to do this in sodium chloride concentrate. To prepare it, you need to add 400 g of salt per 1 liter of water and bring to a boiling point (100 degrees Celsius).
Did you know? To prevent mold from appearing in an open jar, put mustard in the medicine cabinet. It will provide excellent protection against mold.
In the canning process, you should not experiment, because this can ruin all your efforts. Better, as they say, "act the old fashioned way," according to a proven recipe. However, even if your cucumbers are cloudy or exploded, then this is not the end of everything, and they can be saved.